No matter where you are in the world, food is always a must and should always be incorporated into your getaway. Cities like Paris, Barcelona, and Shanghai among other popular destinations offer world-class dishes in both high-end and hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cafés, but they are not the only ones.
From street-food stalls to local spots that never change, the world is full of fresh, fun and uniquely delicious meals waiting to hit your taste buds. So for those who are looking for a food adventure, consider heading to these lesser-known destinations for some of the best cuisines.
Oaxaca, Mexico has become a major destination for food lovers and is probably the best place to have moles, chicken soups, street tacos and more. Our top favorite restaurants are the following:
Huangzhou, China has some of the best eateries around and has tons of options for locals and visitors to choose from. But to make sure you’re eating at the best, we suggest you head to these restaurants:
• Dragon Well is a restaurant that serves dishes cooked in a tradition that’s centuries old. Dining here will alter the way you think about Chinese food.
• Grandma’s Kitchen is a chain with locations in various districts within the city. It has a vast menu offering you all sorts of unique dishes such as chicken feet, Lotus root and sweet rice and DongPo Pork.
• Yun Shui Yao has two locations and serves meals inspired by Yunnan and Guizhou, two famous regions in China. Their best-seller is the fish-head platter (tender, flaky meat in a spicy broth with lots of flavors).
Ireland may not be at the top of your mind when it comes to great food, but the country does have some mouthwatering food served in some of the best restaurants, many of which can be found in Galway. Our top choices are the following:
• Moran’s Oyster Cottage is an 18th-century tavern that serves the freshest oysters in the city, which you can eat with brown bread and pints of Guinness.
• Ard Bia is a unique restaurant with a menu full of seasonal gourmet Mediterranean, Irish mix, Middle Eastern, New Zealand, Lebanese and Indian a la carte. We recommend you try the Hake, which comes with mussels, clams, and chorizo sausage.
• Oscar’s Seafood Bistro offers the freshest seafood dishes, and have a menu that constantly changes. From Mackerel and Fishcake starters to the Monkfish with Mussel for the main course, Oscar’s is the place to be for a wonderful culinary experience.
Knysna, South Africa
Knysna is a favorite holiday destination in South Africa and is known to have phenomenal, fresh local seafood served in restaurants with spectacular views. Our favorite places for food lovers are the following:
• 34 South is a restaurant located on the harborfront, where you can find large seafood platters/ combos, as well as meat dishes such as the Cajun Ostrich Fillet.
• Freshline Fisheries is a fish market/restaurant that serves simple, fresh catch of the day, all of which can be enjoyed on picnic tables in the sand.
• East Head Café is another unique restaurant with a menu full of simple foods that taste absolutely divine, such as the spicy mince, fresh fish and chips, and Cape Malay seafood curry.